Monday, January 28, 2008

Seattle


Crisp ride down with surprisingly little delay. American border guard was contemptuous and imperious but that revelation ranks right up there with a snowboarder getting stoned. I am not really sure why I decided to visit here for three days, other than the fact that I have not been here before. But really, this Northwest chill is getting old and I am seriously thinking about just pounding my foot to the pedal of this Ford Fusion (the Accura wasn’t available) and not stopping until I get to California. Of course it’s rainy and miserable there right now as well, so maybe I don’t hit the brakes until I get to El Salvador.



The best thing by far about Seattle is Top Pot Doughnuts on Fifth Avenue (http://www.toppotdoughnuts.com/). The joint opens at 6 a.m. and this being Seattle, of course, the doughnuts are made with all kinds of heart happy polyunsaturated non-trans fat crap and all that other medicated nutritional goo.

All this means is that despite having more sugar in them than Cuba and even though your teeth crumble when you eat them, they are actually healthy. Personally, I feel much better now knowing that my doctor would surely approve of me skipping my morning oatmeal to eat about five or six of Top Pot's finest. You can even buy a current edition of the New York Times in their spacious and tactfully decorated shop. Like I said, if you only visit one place in Seattle, make it Top Pot.

Oh yeah, almost forgot. I made it by the Space Needle(Zzzzzz), The Experience Music Project (not enough Hendrix, too much grunge), Seattle Public Market (see the pic below of cafe at the back of it) as well as Q-West field (home of the SeaHawks) and Safeco Field (Mariners). OK, I’m done.




Damn it’s cold. Yeah, I know. I’m whining so much that I should be carrying a British passport, but it’s true. 10 days ago I was in Thailand and now here I am in scenically frigid Puget Sound for no apparent reason. I’ll come see you again Seattle when summer is upon us. But for now, this car is heading south once more in a most rapid fashion.




2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey Tim, mom passed me your link. Hope you found some hot weather in Belize and might I say, the British passport is mandatory after the prolonged weather whinge. Perhaps you should have started out in Oz - we've got nothing but sun and surf here mate.
Kerry

Tim Noonan said...

Hey Ker, thanks for the note. Yeah, maybe I could have found some hot weather in Perth but then I would been surronded by a bunch of "sledging" Aussies yapping up a storm in their inchorent brogue. No thanks. I'll take the cold in the Northtwest over that - fair dinkum, mate. Will drop you a longer note shortly. Give my love to the boys.