Wednesday, February 6, 2008

California

I am going to get ahead of myself here. The pic above is from lunch at Nepenthe in Big Sur. That glass of Pinot cost $14. Ouch. But according to my blog below I am freezing in unpretensious Portland and not in California yet and certainly not in Big Sur, so let's digress ever so slightly you cosmic warriors... Okay, well wow, here I am finally in the Golden State. I was so anxious to get out of the cold that I drove 13 hours straight from Portland all the way to Rooster Cogburn’s sprawling abode in Marin. I would never advise anyone to try this unless they are blessed with a superhuman gene or two or unless you are freezing your ass off in the Pacific Northwest. After two hours of blinding rain leaving Portland, I found out the number 5 interstate was closed in southern Oregon because of snow so I had to snake my way out of the state through Grants Pass (below, in better days).


Visibility was neglible. It was wet, windy, foggy, hilly, unbelievably beautiful and ridiculously treacherous. All that and more is Grants Ass. Sorry, Grants Pass. By the time I got out of the haze and emerged to the Pacific Ocean at the tip-top of California, my relief was palpable. It was Cali now and visions of gorgeous scenery, tasty grape and fortifying chow were dancing in my tired old head. I saw the ocean and envisioned cruising south as the moonlight lyrically bounced off the Pacific illuminating my journey. Yeah, well so much for a poetic return to California and all that Kerouc-ian bullshit because I saw the ocean for a grand total of two minutes before heading into that foreboding black hole known as night time on the Redwood Highway for the next seven hours. I didn’t see the ocean again for two days. Made it to Marin in time to have a drink with Baron Von Rooster and his neighbour George Lucas at about 2 a.m. Portland? Did someone say Portland? Never heard of it.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Tim, are you coming through NYC at any point? Tami and I would love to see you... I have an excellent bottle of NZ Sauvignon Blanc in fridge with your name on it....and clean sheets on the guest bed.

Scott K.

Tim Noonan said...

Damn Scotty, last time we got into that SV Blanc at the Kiwi wine night my head was ringing for a week or so. Clean sheets too? Wow, I can change that in a heartbeat.

Planning on coming your way in late june. will give you lot's of notice, we can go see Santana pitch for the Mets.

Best to Tami and the wee one and see you soon...

Unknown said...

mTim, sound great. I can't promise that same bottle with be in the fridge and that the sheets will still be clean in june, but I am sure that we can improvise... Mets game would be great. We are gearing up for a Mets vs. Tigers World Series in this household (Tami as you may recall is a serious mets fan). Take care and look forward to seeing you.

Scott